Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Our 2019 Garden: Seed Starting, Hardening, + Free Gardening Spreadsheet!

So Guy and I, along with the help of our very interested 8 year old niece, are attempting a small vegetable garden this year, and we're starting with all seeds!

I put together a spreadsheet (that I'll share, so you don't have to format one yourself!) with what I'm planting, dates to start the seeds indoors, day to start hardening, day to transplant outdoors and more.

Grab the free gardening spreadsheet here.

I bought seeds from Walmart. We started the seeds in a Jiffy 72 seed starter greenhouse.

Trying to keep everything organized
  •  Basil, sweet
  • Thyme, common
  • Rosemary, common
  • Peas, Sugar Snap
  • Sweet Pepper, California Wonder
  • Sweet Pepper, Carnival Blend
  • Hot Pepper, Jalapeno Early
  • Tomato, Porterhouse Hybrid
  • Tomato, Steak Sandwich Hybrid
  • Cantaloupe, Hale's Best Jumbo
  • Watermelon, Crimson Sweet
All but the sugar snap peas and basil have been started indoors.  It's all been pretty straightforward thus far, but I honestly just learned about hardening off today, so I'm a bit nervous about that but I also want to make the transplants as hearty as possible.

The Jiffy greenhouse is working out well, and I hope the plants don't get so large that they overcrowd before it's time to transplant. We have a 35 watt LED full spectrum bulb on them.



Down to 2 Hydrangeas... and even then one doesn't look so hot
Perhaps we'll see some growth in a couple weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment