Monday, January 7, 2013

Little Cape's New Years Resolutions

Happy new year, readers!

This year, (and last year... this has taken a really. long. time) we decided that we'd sand and refinish the Cape's oak hardwood floors.

I'll make a real long story short and say whoa! We rented an orbital sander which even I could use, but boy is it a lot of work. Physically, it kicks your ass. And if you aren't prepared for dust...

Guy sanding, and sanding, and sanding...

We are past the sanding and staining. Now we start the polyurethane.

Floor, sanded and cleaned with Mineral Spirits
We decided to go DARK, so we opted for Varathane wood stain in Kona. I have always wanted to get rid of the "natural" woodwork and now we have no choice, bright white it is! I like it when things work out that way.



Isn't it an amazing color? We already ordered our furniture and I'm on the lookout for inexpensive rugs. I'm excited/so eager to be done with the floors. They've put a halt on doing ANYTHING else in the meantime, and then the polyurethane needs 24 hours and a rough up between coats.

I keep telling myself... "maintenance free floors... shiny floors..."