Monday, June 27, 2011

Ghosts of Euclid: The Wonderland of Euclid Avenue

So I have this thing about history, the past, the way things were, etc.

I love it. Love to think about it, wonder about what was, who came before me. I love to let my imagination go crazy and take off to places I could never actually go.

This leads me to stalking my part of Euclid, Ohio from time to time.

A couple of years ago I found out my street, East 260th St. was originally called "Upson Rd". When was the name officially changed? Yeah, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Tonight I was trolling some archives and it dawned on me to search for Upson Rd. in place of 260th. I was curious to see what popped up there.

I found something I think is pretty rad. I'm only on the first page of results, and already I can see the mid 1920's saw a lot of sales and growth in this area. This bit I'm sharing isn't exactly where my home in Euclid is, but just up the road.

The roads featured are Euclid Avenue, Brush Avenue, East 261, East 262, East 263 and East 264.

Here's an advertisement from the Cleveland Plain Dealer, September 21, 1924.



Pretty cool, right?

Here I go all geek and point out that omg... part of E 261st St. just isn't there anymore! Compare the images and you'll see how that area once looked, almost 100 years ago.




How many other differences can you see?

Was going to put this in my Euclid Evolution blog... but it didn't really fit. I need to finish my Clarkin's history over there. Go check that out for you vintage retail junkies... something there for the urban decay fans, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment