Friday, June 7, 2013

A little Mid-Century Chrome for our Kitchen

I have no problem admitting that, once in a BLUE moon, I overlook an object that is in fact a diamond in the rough. I'm thankful that my husband and my brother could see, in my moment of blindness, a treasure.

I had intended from the beginning to paint and hang a chandelier like this as the second light in my eat-in kitchen:
Little Cape Cod: teal and yellow painted chandeliers
Pinterest is taking over my life
And I was loving the idea, but until I could devise a kitchen color scheme, it sat down in the basement, with its shiny brass finish, while this travesty hung in the kitchen.

Little Cape Cod: ugly flush mount light in white and gold
It came from the 90's

A while ago my brother gave me a silver fixture/chandelier. It was in need of a cleanup (it looked super rusty) and it was missing all four globes. I really didn't think it would, well... I couldn't visualize it finished, hanging, shiny.

So today we're at the Home Depot and we grabbed 4 super cheap glass globes. Now I'm feeling a little more stoked about this, because I was happy that the globes were standard and easily replaced.

I got to cleaning up the fixture and surprisingly, it wasn't much rust at all, mostly dirt. Yeah!

Dry it, stick the matching medallion on the ceiling and install*.

So here it is: I missed the boat on this one. It's clean and showy and looks perfect in the kitchen, where eventually, seating will be.

Also, I cannot take a picture that does this chandelier justice. I'll have to try again when the sun is up.





It has a total of five lights: Four that sit horizontally and one that points straight down. You can have on none, either, or all.

*Guy does all the electric wiring and mounting, while I sit in the next room and reassure the dog that nothing is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment