Friday, April 18, 2014

Kitchen Virtual Makeover

Thank GOD for computers and programs. I can only image how fucking divorced I'd be if I made Guy move things around multiple times to see what I liked in a room.

I found a totes awesome program that lets me move things around. I think I may have come up with a decent and fairly *cheap* way to get a better looking and more functional kitchen. Here's some reminder photos of my small and stupidly designed eat-in kitchen.




Let me tell you, my house layout is all over my neighborhood. BUT... since our house is a corner house, we have that back door, as see above. Other houses have the door on the side of the house, so they can use that space there for a table. If we do that, we block ourselves in and it feels congested and awful.

So conclusion: House builder fail.

Here's our current layout:

On the North side are our only cabinets plus sink and a table we've yet to actually use.

South side is an exit door, oven, a cart with booze and a microwave, fridge and wall that juts out to hide the chimney stack.

What I hate about this configuration:  No flow, at all. Not nearly enough counter space. Double sink (not seen in mockup) is really overkill. No dishwasher. No matter how we position a table it feels "wrong".

Meh.

Here's my proposed layout:

Here's what's good about this: We're reusing ALL the cabinetry. Would eliminate the metal microwave shelf. Would add some shelving, would add a DISHWASHER. Would extend countertop by a mile or so.

As you can see, seating would be built in. A risk? Maybe, but for us, it would really work. The big expense in this entire change would be a dishwasher, stools, and countertop. We already purchased a new sink (smaller and deeper) and paint for the cabinets is fairly cheap.


No comments:

Post a Comment