Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Mini Project! Triangle Baseboard Registers!

I didn't research the bejeezus out of this little project, I just kind of went for it after painting the living room.

I'll have some during and after pictures after I remember to take them on the second register. Ha.

So evidently we have those triangle baseboard register cover diffusers. The interwebs says these are old gravity fed covers. I don't know about that so much, but I know every house in this neighborhood has the same ones.

Our are CAKED in paint so I thought maybe the Home Depot would have replacements, yeah, they don't.

But you can buy new ones. THEY ARE SEVENTY DOLLARS A PIECE.

Guy better start showing a little leg if we want to be able to afford nice things like THAT.


Oh AND... like they aren't even one piece. They're a triangle and then an insert of sorts is put in. Yeah, not authentic at all.

So I decided to scrape at ours. Then I paint brushed it up with chemical stripper. Then rubbed it down with mineral spirits and finally got in the grooves with a big paint stripper bit on a drill. Sounds kinky but it wasn't.

But literally, that's how I got the paint off our steel registers that evidently are made by one man in the universe and that's why they are SEVENTY DOLLARS.

Kk, time for some before imagery. I really hate that the holes of the grate are actually smaller because there is...

so

much

paint.

Little Cape Cod: Painted Triangle Air Vent Diffuser
Sup vent.

Little Cape Cod: Painted Triangle Air Vent Diffuser
Your vents look like this, too.

Little Cape Cod: Painted Triangle Air Vent Diffuser
These people painted with limp fish.
Ooh I have a special guest mention in the LCC blog today... Someone misses you, SuePaul!

Little Cape Cod: Paul forgot his tape measure.
"YOU LEFT MEEEeeeee!!" - Distraught Tape Measure