Monday, July 8, 2013

A Trip to an Actual Paint Store

Well, we actually went through with it! Picked a color, put it on the walls, and actually ceased obsessively looking through colors.

Little Cape Cod: Picking out paint is hard work.
Confession time.
I can't help it. I just can't. Something is very wrong with me and I'm at a point in my life where I can accept it, embrace it, and hope my dear husband also finds it somehow charming.

:)

In my defense, I did go straight in and ask about Comet. There weren't any chips on the floor so the nice salesman grabbed a deck and ripped the color chip out for me. I slapped it down on the table (first thing in the morning, dirty hair, no coffee in me) and immediately it strikes me as having way too much red in it, rendering it a purple hue.

It's one of those things that even as well calibrated as your semi-professional monitor may be, you just have to see colors in person. I did see this color in person, and it wasn't happening.

Little Cape Cod: Picking out paint is hard work.
It wasn't that purple, but doesn't matter.
I was kind of unhappy. I sincerely had planned to swipe the color and have it color matched in Glidden at the Home Depot. I felt like I was back at square one.

In a panicked state of mind, Guy starts grabbing at greens, but I had enough faith in blue being the right color for our room. I found a chip that had two awfully promising colors on it, Benjamin Moore Labrador Blue and Saratoga Springs (also called Saratoga Blue, 1669).

The latter was a lighter blue, (I kept calling it Sarasota blue, because I was sleepy, irritated, de-caffinated and apparently secretly in love with Florida) and guess what, we both felt ok about it.

While I sat at a table, poring over colors, Guy noticed that the Benjamin Moore Spec paint was like, $3.00 more than Glidden... which really made NOT going to the Home Depot a no brainer.

We pulled the trigger on the color and the brand.
Little Cape Cod: Benjamin Moore Ultra Spec 500 in Saratoga Blue
We opted for the eggshell finish
Little Cape Cod: Primed with Zinsser!
The living room, primered up!
Little Cape Cod: Marley, the dingo, hates painting.
Marley hates this. Everything. Go lay by the plant stand.

The paint went on so damn nice. We had to do a coat and a half, basically. My cutting in work didn't need to be gone over at all. Kick ass! We did a quick and dirty coat of Zinsser primer the night before. Bonus: We love the color! I've gushed before about the Benjamin Moore color visualizer, but you can see with your own eyes just how accurate it actually is.

Little Cape Cod: Benjamin Moore's Color Visualizer
How our preview looks...
Little Cape Cod: Benjamin Moore's Saratoga Springs Blue 1669
How our living room looks! Spot on! (click for larger)
Wow wow!! A happy Jen and a happy Guy this color does make.

In another post, I will be writing about my experience with the place we purchased our Benjamin Moore paint from, the Cleveland Paint Company.