Monday, January 20, 2014

$5 Whole Office Cord Management and Organization!

In the process of re-doing our home office, I decided it was high time we get the cords off the floor.

We have to wrangle 2 full sized computers with monitors, keyboards, a 5.1 surround sound speaker system, laptops that come and go, a router, a network drive, a mobile airave and probably a few other random things I'm forgetting. Long story short, it's a mess and we have a terrible infestation of wire gnomes, to boot.

There's lots of options out there for cable management but it can get pricey and I don't really want to just wrap up my cables into bundles. Zip ties are great but not so much when you need to cut 15 or 20 of them off just to remove or add something. So I used my brains and hit the hardware store and came up with this very cheap, very easy, very tidy way of hiding all your office cables.



This is before. You'll notice the cords just hanging out all over the place. It's awful in that corner that you can't see in this picture.

Now here's the opposite side of the room, same PC and monitor, but no cords!

Get out your drills, ladies (and the boys, too). I got what I needed from Home Depot. Here's all you're going to need:
I bought 3 packs of tube straps and 2 packs of screws, totaling 15 straps and 24 screws. Under $5 to take care of the whole office.


 I put a strap and a single screw about every 12 inches. YMMV!

Click for closeup
Click for closeup

The screws are self-tapping and drill right in. Leave one out so you can pull down on the semi-flexible strap and shove cords in there. This is so easy and so cheap! $4.46 cents to do my whole office and I've got a whole package of plastic straps I haven't even used yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment