Sunday, January 19, 2014

Our Home Office: The "During" Phase.

Guy and I have been good little worker bees this weekend. We spent most of Friday and Saturday working in the home office. It's really the second bedroom of our little cape cod. We moved in, refinished the floors, threw a rug down, and cobbled together a desk that ran flush against 2 walls in the room. The layout of the desk is fantastic. It gives us a ton of useable space (really, enough for 3 full sized desktop computers, plus random network gadgets, and a printer) but we constructed it out of inexpensive pine. It's been sitting here, albeit serving the purpose it was put together for, looking naked and quite unfinished for a year now.


We liked Benjamin Moore's Davenport Tan pretty early on, and we ended up going with it. With our paint color finally chosen, we put up a new Hunter fan to replace the 10-year-old brass one that was up when we moved in.

The existing color in the office could be described as very light yellow-brown. And it was FILTHY. Even after a hard scrubbing it still looked dingy. Painting was a no-brainer but the desk surface took a little more thinking. The wood is cheap and uneven in spots, plus it's two pieces mended together. I wanted a white surface and one that will hold up to a LOT of use. Paint wasn't really on my list.

Here's some "before" shots of the office. I don't have a lot because it was so ugly it brought shame upon my entire family.

So retro, so grimey

What kind of Aunt makes their niece clean their house? *ME ME I DO*


The picture from the real estate listing. Notice the carpet.
Eek! I barely remember the wall-to-wall carpet in this place! And the photo from the real estate listing makes it look not-quite-filthy. For reference, that corner is the same one my niecey is standing in holding her broom. Yeah.

Now, we aren't quite finished with the office, but I have some nice in-progress shots, the walls are painted and the desk surface down, and I'm very excited because now all we have to do is some detail work!

Benjamin Moore Davenport Tan in a small office

Coat number 1

Desk grommets! I love these!

How did I do my pretty white desk? Come back and I'll tell ya!
Like I said, just details now, and I hope to have the grand unveiling before the month is out. One or two more trips to the Home Depot ought to do the trick.

I have a few tricks I'm employing to keep things neat, and I plan to share how I did it here pretty soon. 

I almost forgot, Marley was wonderful, she really held it together during us emptying everything out of the office, the vacuum and drill running, etc.

Just kidding!

whatareyoudoing
NO

No comments:

Post a Comment